Moroccan Lamb Stew
• Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes • Yields: 4 - 6 servings
Chef's Tips: Defrost the 5 lb. brick of ground lamb, set 1 lb. aside for this recipe, and portion out the remaining ground meat to your liking before freezing. Being that the meat is flash frozen at the time of processing, it’s safe to defrost and re-freeze the meat.
1. In a Dutch oven or heavy set pot, brown the lamb in a small amount of neutral oil. Remove some of rendered fat and toss in the diced onions. Cook until translucent, for about 5 minutes.
2. Add chopped garlic, Harissa paste, ground cumin, and a heavy pinch of salt. Cook until fragrant.
3. Add the beef stock and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, then add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and sweet potato.
4. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Taste for seasoning at this point. Adjust as needed.
5. Remove from heat and stir in a touch of fresh squeezed lemon juice.
6. To serve, ladle into a bowl, top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, sprinkle on freshly chopped mint or parsley, and one final squeeze of lemon. Enjoy!