Elk Larb Lettuce Cups
• Prep Time: 45 minutes • Yields: 4 - 6 servings
1. In a small skillet set over medium high heat, toast the raw rice (dry, no oil) until brown and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
2. In a small food processor, or using a mortar and pestle, grind the toasted rice into a fine powder, set aside.
3. In a large skillet or braiser set over medium-high heat, sauté ground elk until cooked through, drain over a colander, set aside.
4. Using the same large skillet, cook the shallots and garlic in the oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the elk back into the pan. Add powdered toasted rice powder, brown sugar, lime juice, zest, salt, pepper chili paste and fish sauce.
6. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until all ingredients are fully incorporated and there is little to no crunch left from the rice powder. Remove from heat and add soy sauce, mint, cilantro and thai chillies, if using.
7. Remove lettuce leaves from the stalk. Fill each lettuce cup/leaf with the larb mixture.
8. Top with a sprinkle of scallions and enjoy!