Rabbit Sausage Flatbread with Caramelized Onions & Manchego Cheese
1 pack Fossil Farms’ Rabbit Sausage with White Wine, Chicken and Bacon
4 cups flour
½ tsp. white sugar
2 tsp. dry yeast
1 tsp. kosher salt
¾ cups warm water
2 large white onions, sliced
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
3 small russet potatoes
Oil of choice for frying
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 oz. manchego cheese, shredded
Cilantro, finely chopped
Chives, finely chopped
1 dash of black pepper
Stock pot/Dutch oven
2. Slowly add water to bowl and mix until dough forms. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface. Let ball of dough rest in a lightly greased bowl for 1 hour at room temperature.
3. Slice onions while oil is heating in large pan over medium. Add onions to pan and sprinkle with salt to help draw out moisture as onions caramelize. Stir to coat onions in oil and spread in pan to cook evenly.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30 minutes - 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Onions may stick to bottom of pan, which is okay, as long as onions do not burn.
5. Once onions brown, deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar. Scrape concentrated bits from bottom of pan and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove onions from heat and set aside.
6. Use mandolin slicer, fitted with a julienne blade, to slice potatoes into matchsticks. Place sliced potatoes in a large bowl of ice water to chill for 10-15 minutes.
7. In the meantime, pull dough out of refrigerator and divide dough into two pieces. Rollout dough to about ¼” thick. Place on greased grill and bake for 5 minutes each side. Then, set aside on a cutting board.
8. Remove potatoes from water bath and pat dry, or use a salad spinner.
9. Place oil in a stock pot, Dutch oven, or deep fryer. Attach a deep-fry thermometer and heat oil to 350°F. Once oil reaches temperature, fry potatoes for 2½ - 3½ minutes, or until dark golden brown. Watch closely and stir often.
10. Transfer cooked potatoes with a slotted spoon onto a plate topped with a paper towel. Season with salt and black pepper.
11. Heat a medium sized skillet over medium-high heat. Cut sausage into thin slices and add to pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Then, remove sausage from pan and lightly season with salt and pepper.
12. Grab cutting board with homemade flatbread and layer with onions, sausages, shoestring fries, and shredded manchego cheese. Garnish with chopped cilantro and chives, slice into 6-8 pieces and serve!