Roasted Elk Striploin with Red Wine Sauce
• Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes • Yields: 4 - 6 servings
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Allow the elk to sit at room temperature for about an hour prior to cooking. Then, pat dry and season all over with salt and pepper.
3. Heat about 1½ tbsp olive oil in a cast iron pan or heavy bottom skillet over medium high until shimmering.
4. Place the striploin in the pan and sear until nicely browned on all sides, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Transfer the seared meat to another oven-safe pan and place in the preheated oven.
6. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 130°F for medium-rare. Cooking times will vary based on your oven, but this will likely take between 10-20 minutes.
7. Use a digital cooking thermometer to check the meat periodically to avoid over cooking.
8. While elk is cooking, place the shallots in the pan used to sear the meat and cook over medium heat until softened, but not browned.
9. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, then add the broth and thyme. Increase the temperature to medium-high and cook until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. If it becomes too thick, add a bit of water or broth.
10. Remove sauce from heat, add cold butter and stir until combined.
11. Remove elk from oven once desired doneness is reached and allow to rest, loosely tented with foil, for about 10 minutes.
12. Transfer to a cutting board and slice.
13. Serve elk with red wine sauce, alongside your favorite vegetable and rice, potatoes or pasta.