Wild Boar Stew of Olympus
• Prep Time: 3 hours 10 minutes • Yields:4-6 servings
1. In a Dutch oven or heavy-set pot, brown each piece of Wild Boar stew meat thoroughly in a small amount of vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
2. Take the stew meat out of the pot and set aside once it browns. Remember not to crowd the pot.
3. Turn heat down to medium and brown your carrots, celery, and onion for 5-10 minutes, until they take on some golden color.
4. Toss in your garlic and cook until aromatic. No more than a minute or two, avoiding much color on the garlic.
5. De-glaze with your cup of red wine and reduce by half, then add your 2 cups of stock and can of tomatoes.
6. Bring this to a simmer and add your stew meat (and accumulated juices), potatoes, oregano sprigs and cinnamon stick.
7. Ties these together with butcher's twine to pull them out easier at the end, or use cheesecloth/teabags.
8. Bring entire pot to a boil, reduce to a simmer, let this cook with the lid on for 1 ½ to 3 hours, until the wild boar is super tender.
9. Fish out your cinnamon and oregano sprigs at this time.
10. Take out a ladle or two of the liquid and vegetables (not the meat), and blend in a blender or mash with a spoon.
11. This releases a lot of starch and acts as a natural thickener to give your stew more body if so desired.
12. Serve hot and enjoy!