Bison Back Ribs with Classic BBQ Rub
Prep Time: 4 hours 15 minutes • Yields: 6 servings
1 pkg. Fossil Farms’ Bison Back Ribs, 2 ea 4 lb.
2 tbsp. garlic powder
4 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. onion powder
4 tbsp. finely ground black pepper
4 tbsp. brown sugar
4 tbsp. ancho chili powder
2 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. whole coriander
2 tbsp. fennel seeds
4 tbsp. ground sage
2 tbsp. blended oil
½ cup melted butter, stock or apple juice
BBQ sauce of your choice
Oven-safe wire rack
Measuring cups & spoons
1. Preheat grill to 400°F.
2. In the grill sear meatier side of ribs for 3 minutes to lock juices into meat. Pull off grill let rest.
3. Preheat oven to 300°F.
4. Combine sugar, salt, and all spices in a small bowl, and mix thoroughly.
5. Coat the ribs with oil. Then, generously apply the rub until it is completely covered on both sides.
6. Place an oven-safe wire rack on a baking sheet. Rip a large sheet of aluminum foil and all place on the rack. Fold up edges of foil to create a bed for the ribs.
7. Pour in your choice of butter, stock apple juice or water to provide a source of moisture for ribs as they cook. Then, cover ribs with foil.
8. Put ribs in the oven and cook for a minimum of 4 hours, or until fork tender.
9. When ribs are nearly done, take out of oven, pull back aluminum foil, and baste ribs with your favorite bbq sauce.
10. Turn broiler on and put ribs back in oven, uncovered. Let bbq sauce get a little char before removing from oven. Repeat steps 6 and 7 one more time, if desired.
11. Remove ribs from oven then allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving the ribs.