Braised Goose with Sauerkraut & Carrots
• Prep Time: 4 hours • Yields: 8-10 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Clean goose under cold running water, paying special attention to the cavity.
2. Poke holes all over the goose using a paring knife. This allows some of the fat to escape while cooking.
3. Place breast-side up onto a broiler pan or roasting rack, and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
4. Cook for about 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until very tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Combine the shredded potatoes, sauerkraut, applesauce, carrots, and brown sugar in a slowcooker.
6. Remove as much meat from the goose as you can, leaving meat in large pieces.
7. Add them to the mixture in the slow cooker.
8. Place the lid on the cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
9. Remove from the slow cooker and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.