Char-Grilled Bison Ribeye with Chimichurri Sauce
• Prep Time: 45 minutes • Yields: 2-4 servings
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1 cup water 1 head garlic, minced
1 cup packed Italian parsley
½ cup fresh oregano leaves
½ cup packed cilantro leaves
2 tsp. red chili flakes
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Make chimichurri sauce at least 4 hours before serving.
2. In a medium bowl dissolve kosher salt into 1 cup hot water. Pop in the refrigerator to chill while preparing the rest of the recipe.
3. Peel and separate head of garlic into careful not to chop too much, as the herbs will bruise and turn black. Add to bowl with the kosher salt and water.
4. Whisk in red wine vinegar and olive oil and add the oregano, cilantro, and Italian parsley leaves. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
5. Set up a charcoal grill for direct heat to cook the steaks.
6. Hold your hand above the grate for only 2 seconds. The heat needs to be medium high but not so white hot that it will burn your steaks.
7. Brush steaks with canola oil. Liberally season steaks with salt.
8. Cook steaks 4-5 minutes per side, allowing for a good char on the outside. Don’t touch it!
9. Allow steaks to rest for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
10. Finish steaks with a few grinds of fresh black pepper a healthy spoonful of chimichurri sauce.
11. Pair with grilled or roasted potatoes or any vegetables and enjoy.