Prep Time: 15 minutes • Yields: 1 serving
1 Fossil Farms Whole Turkey (10-12 lb. avg)
½ cup (8 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
¼ cup fresh sage, minced
¼ tsp. Chinese five spice powder
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1. Add butter, spices, and garlic in a small bowl and mix until well combined.
2. Set turkey on working surface so cavity is closest to you. Using a long, flexible rubber or silicone spatula, slowly slide the tool between the skin and the flesh of the breasts on both sides of the breastbone. Note: the skin is fairly tough and won’t tear easily so long as you work with ease.
3. Separate the skin all the way from the cavity to the front of the breast and down toward the wing joint. Do this on both sides of the breast, but leave the skin attached to the center of the breastbone itself.
4. Divide the butter mixture in half and stuff it under the skin on both sides. Then, massage skin to spread butter down toward the front of the bird.
5. Distribute butter as evenly as possible, but don’t worry about being perfect, as the butter will melt and spread out as the turkey roasts.
6. Discard any leftover compound butter that has come into contact with the raw meat.
7. Truss turkey and roast using preferred method or recipe. We recommend 13 minutes per pound at 350°F for an unstuffed turkey and 15 minutes per pound for a stuffed turkey.