Corned Beef and Cabbage
• Prep Time: 2 hours 25 minutes • Yields: 8-10 servings
2 onions, cut in quarters
3 large carrots, cut in 1⁄2 inch rounds
1 green cabbage, cut in 2 inch by 2 inch squares
8 medium sized red potatoes, cut in quarters
½ stick of butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. coriander
2 tsp. peppercorns
1 tbsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. anise seeds
4 large bay leaves
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. cardamom
1 tsp. cinnamon
1. In medium bowl combine all pickling spices then transfer to a baking sheet to toast at 350°F for 2-4 minutes.
2. Remove brisket from package and pat dry. Place brisket in large pot and add water to cover the meat by one inch.
3. Add your toasted pickling spices and the onions to the pot, and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Do not boil. Add carrots and potatoes, and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Add to the boiling mixture cabbage; cook for 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove the vegetables from liquid, and place in a serving bowl, adding butter for extra flavor.
7. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Remove the brisket from the pickled water, and slice ¼ inch.
8. Serve the corned beef and cabbage with roasted potatoes and carrots. Enjoy!