Elk Bruschetta Burgers with Parmesan Cheese Crisp
• Prep Time: 25 minutes • Yields: 4 servings
1. Combine tomato, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, basil, garlic, vinegar and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Gently shape elk ground meat into 4 ½ inch thick burgers. Season burgers on both sides with 1 tablespoon seasoning. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 400°F to cook Parmesan cheese crisp.
4. Pour a heaping tablespoon of Parmesan onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet and lightly pat down.
5. A silicone baking sheet is highly recommended.
6. Repeat with the remaining cheese, spacing the spoonful about a ½ inch apart.
7. Bake the cheese for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.
8. Add burgers to the grill over direct medium heat 350-450°F with the lid closed as much as possible, until the internal temperature reaches 160°F for medium.
9. Cook the elk burgers for 12 to 15 minutes, turning once each burger.
10. Near the end of the cooking time, lightly brush both sides of the sourdough bread with olive oil.
11. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until bread is lightly toasted.
12. Place burgers on bread; top with tomato mixture and additional slice of grilled bread. Enjoy!