Grilled Domestic Wagyu with Pickled Rainbow Radish Salad
• Prep Time: 1 hour 25 minutes • Yields: 2 servings
1. Using a mandoline slicer, slice the radish and carrots to ⅛-inch thick rounds.
2. Combine the vinegar and water in a medium-sized jar or container and mix well.
3. Stir until the sugar grains are completely dissolved in the water.
4. Place the sliced radish and carrots into the container, making sure each piece is submerged in the pickling solution.
5. Let rest and cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
6. Continue to cook the Wagyu steaks following the second method.
1. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling. This ensures that the meat will be tender once cooked.
2. Preheat grill to 120°C/250°F.
3. Pat dry, and brush with oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then place on the grill.
4. The cooking time for our steaks is 2-3 minutes each side.
5. Remove the steaks from the grill, cover, and rest for 5 minutes tented with aluminum foil.
6. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
7. Add garlic; cook and stir, about 1 minute.
8. Stir in baby kale a few handfuls at a time until it starts to wilt.
9. Cover and cook until kale is completely wilted and hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Slice the steaks against the grain, meaning that the knife slices perpendicular to the direction of the muscle fibers.
11. Transfer the steaks to a plate, add the rainbow radish salad and sautéed baby kale, and garnish with scallions. Enjoy!