Grilled Ostrich Steak with Bourbon Cherry Barbecue Sauce
• Prep Time: 30 minutes • Yields: 2 servings
1 pkg. Fossil Farms Ostrich Steaks, 2 X 4 oz
1 small onion, peeled and diced
2 small shallot, peeled and diced
3 cups pureed peeled tomato
1 cup dried apricots, chopped, soaked in hot water until tender
1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup bourbon Tabasco Smoked Chipotle sauce, as needed
Butter, as needed
Cast iron pan
1. Heat cast iron pot or saucepan to medium heat.
2. Sauté onion and shallots in clarified butter for 2 minutes, until translucent.
3. Add apricots to the onions and shallots then, sauté for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Add the Bourbon, vinegar, lemon juice, tomato and brown sugar to the cast iron pan.
5. Return to heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add chipotle sauce and adjust seasonings if necessary.
6. Season Ostrich steaks with salt and pepper. Grill or pan sear the steaks for 1 ½ minutes per side.
7. Flip steaks and cook for 1 ½ minutes per side.
8. Allow ostrich to rest a few minutes and drizzle sauce over the meat.
9. Pair the steaks with favorite vegetables, roasted potatoes or risotto. Enjoy!