Japanese Wagyu Strip Steak with Tomato Dashi
• Prep Time: 2 hours 45 minutes • Yields:2 servings
1. To make dashi, soak kombu overnight in water.
2. Heat kombu and water until almost a simmering, then remove from heat and discard kombu.
3. Add the bonito flakes to the broth and let steep for 10 minutes.
4. Strain broth through a fine mesh strainer and discard the bonito.
5. Combine the 2 cups dashi, mushroom soy and tomatoes in a sauce pan, and bring to a simmer.
6. Remove from heat and let steep for one hour.
7. Strain tomatoes out of broth and discard. Cool broth until ready for use.
8. To prepare steak, remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
9. Season steak with salt and black pepper.
10. Preheat grill to high heat or 250°F. Sear the steak for 1-2 minutes on each side.
11. Slice steak against the grain and serve with the warm tomato dashi on the side.