Elk Osso Buco with Potatoes and Gremolata
• Prep Time: 4 hours • Yields: 4-6 servings
3/4 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
¼ bunch fresh thyme
4 whole cloves
1 onion, medium dice
2 stalks celery, medium dice
2 tbsp. tomato paste
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 dry bay leaves
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 carrots, medium dice
1 can diced San Marzano tomatoes
½ bottle dry white wine Salt and pepper
½ tsp. fennel pollen
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
3 lemons, zest only
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mix together all gremolata ingredients in a small bowl then, set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over high heat. Sprinkle Elk osso buco with salt and pepper, and sear evenly on all sides.
3. Remove and set aside. Add onion, carrot and celery and drop to medium heat to sweat.
4. Deglaze pan with white wine and let reduce by half. Add in tomato paste, tomato and stock.
5. Make bouquet garni with rosemary, thyme, bay leaves and cloves.
6. Place Elk osso buco back into Dutch oven and cover tightly. Braise at 250°F for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until osso buco are tender.
7. After 1 hour of braising, check every 15 minutes.
8. Once cooked, remove osso buco and set aside, skim fat from top of braising liquid.
9. Add in potatoes and reduce braising liquid until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
10. To plate, simply scoop potatoes and braising liquid reduction into a wide bowl and place osso buco in the middle.
11. Sprinkle with gremolata and enjoy!