Ostrich Meatballs with Homemade Tomato Sauce
• Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes • Yields: 6 servings
Method (Ground Ostrich):
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Mix very well, hands are encouraged.
4. Form the mixture into small meatballs, a little smaller than a golf ball size.
5. Place meatballs on baking sheet and cook at 350°F for 15 – 20 minutes or until fully cooked.
6. Remove and set aside until the sauce is prepared, then simmer them in the sauce for 45 minutes.
Method (Tomato Sauce):
1. In a sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and sauté until they’re softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes.
4. Add the bay leaf, bunch of parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat back down to a light simmer.
6. Add the Ostrich meatballs and toss them with the sauce.
7. Cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
8. Remove the bay leaf and parsley prior to serving. Stir in the basil. Serve, and enjoy!