Potato Gratin with Bacon & Caramelized Onions
• Prep Time: 2 hours • Yields: 8-10 servings
1. Dice bacon and render in pan over medium heat until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and reserve bacon fat in pan.
2. Slice potatoes ⅛” thick.
3. Sauté onions in bacon fat for 5-10 minutes or until softened and caramelized.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Mix potatoes, onions, bacon, seasonings, and cream in a large bowl.
6. Prepare 14” x 8” baking dish by greasing bottoms and sides with butter.
7. Assemble by placing layers of potatoes in a baking dish and topping each layer with grated cheese. Alternate and continue until baking dish is full or all potatoes are used.
8. Add remaining cream from mixing bowl until pan is full.
9. Place baking dish onto cookie sheet, cover with foil and place in oven.
10. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center of the pan can be inserted and removed with ease.
11. Remove foil and broil for 5 minutes or until golden brown on top.
12. Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 - 45 minutes before serving.