Wild Boar Pomegranate Saffron Meatballs with Hummus
• Prep Time: 50 minutes • Yields: 6 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Put all the meatball ingredients into a large bowl. Make sure your egg is pre-beaten.
3. Combine all the ingredients thoroughly together. Form the mixture into balls, I use a small 1 and 3/4 inch scoop to make mine an even size.
4. At this point you can refrigerate the meatballs, covered, on a plate, or cook them right away.
5. To cook the meatballs lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil and arrange the meatballs on the pan.
6. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through and measures 160°F on an instant read thermometer.
7. While the meatballs are cooking make the sauce and hummus. Mix the olive oil with the pomegranate seeds, and fresh mint. Add salt to taste and set aside.
8. To make the hummus, put the chickpeas and garlic in a blender or food processor and pulse until the beans are broken down.
9. Add the tahini, along with the juice of ½ the lemon, and run the machine, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the hummus is smooth and silky.
10. Add a little bit of cold water to thin it down if needed. Taste and add more lemon if you like, and season with salt and pepper.
11. Spoon the hummus out onto a shallow bowl or platter, and use the back of the spoon to make a spiral pattern on the top. This helps to hold the olive oil.
12. Drizzle liberally with olive oil and top with the warm meatballs.
13. Garnish with mint and pomegranate seeds. Serve the sauce and fresh pita bread on the side.