Duroc Porchetta Di Testa
• Prep Time: 4 hours 50 minutes • Yields: 8-10 servings
1. To begin, place the fennel seeds and chili flakes in hot, dry pan and toast for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
2. Peel the garlic cloves and place in a pestle and mortar. Add the herbs, toasted spices, salt, pepper and white wine and grind to a rough paste.
3. Place the pork belly skin-side down and lay the loin across the width. Trim the loin down to size so it rolls up neatly.
4. Lightly score the belly flesh in a 2cm diagonal pattern and massage the stuffing paste into the belly and loin. Place the loin back onto the belly.
5. Roll up tightly, tie up with butcher’s string and leave uncovered in the fridge overnight. 6. This will dry out the skin, giving a crispier crackling.
7. Preheat the oven to 320°F.
8. Place the pork on a wire rack set over an oven tray. Pour in the 2 cups of water and cook in the oven for 3 ½ to 4 hours.
9. Check at intervals; if the water has evaporated, add a little more 10. Leave to rest for 30 minutes before carving. Slice and serve warm in buttered bread rolls.