Bacon Wrapped Pheasant in Gin & Juniper Berries
• Prep Time: 1 hour • Yields: 2 servings
1. Season pheasant with salt and pepper, and truss cavity closed to help maintain shape.
2. Completely wrap bird with bacon and tie with string.
3. In a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan, sauté bird in oil until golden brown on all sides.
4. Cover and cook slowly for 35 minutes. Uncover, skim off fat, and cook until bird is tender, and juices run pink when thigh is pierced with a fork, 10-15 minutes more.
5. Remove pheasant to a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
6. Skim off fat from pan and add shallots, juniper berries, then bay leaves.
7. Sauté until shallots are soft but not browned. Add gin and sherry and carefully ignite.
8. When flame dies out, add stock and reduce quickly over high heat to a light sauce consistency.
9. Whisk in parsley and butter, if desired.
10. Remove and discard butcher twine from pheasant. Carve bird into serving pieces.
11. Pour sauce over, and serve immediately