Ostrich Stuffed Acorn Squash
• Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes • Yields: 4-6 servings
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. After removing the top/lid of your squash (About ¾ to the top), scoop enough flesh to make room for about a cup of stuffing or more.
3. Lightly coat in vegetable oil and roast your acorn squash in the oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
4. Half way through roasting, lightly glaze the inside of the squash with maple syrup to help browning, and add sweetness.
5. While that roasts, brown ostrich on high heat in a pan that is lightly oiled, remove from pan the set aside.
6. Cook your mushrooms in the same pan until moisture escapes and they start to brown, toss in a bit of butter to help brown and develop flavor.
7. Take mushrooms out of pan and put this on the side with the ostrich.
8. Sauté garlic, apple and shallot with sprig of thyme, sprig rosemary, and ½ teaspoon of Chinese five spice.
9. Cook until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
10. De-glaze with splash of red wine, reduce until almost entirely gone.
11. Remove into bowl with mushroom and ostrich.
12. Combine ingredients, thoroughly, and remove thyme sprig. Salt and pepper to taste.
13. Fill roasted squash cuplets with mixture, and roast for an additional ten minutes or until flavors have married.
14. Top with crunchy, fresh, pepitas, parsley combo for garnish, serve and enjoy!