Pan Seared Squab with Braised Greens, Butternut Squash Purée & Figs
Prep Time: 1 hour 40 minutes • Yields: 2 servings
2 pkgs. Fossil Farms’ Squab, 14 oz
2 tbsp. olive oil Salt and pepper, to taste
4 fresh figs
Butternut Squash Purée:
1 ½ lb. butternut squash
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 lemons, juice and zest, separated
1 large bunch collard greens, stemmed and sliced into 1' strips
½ cup chicken stock
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Measuring spoons & cups
Small plastic container
Large cast iron pan
Method (Butternut Squash Purée):
1. Prep the butternut squash by peeling, halving and seeding it; then cut into ¼” pieces.
2. In a medium saucepan, cook the squash with the milk, cream and salt over medium heat, stirring frequently until very tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a high speed blender and purée until very smooth. If the purée is too thick, add a little of the remaining hot dairy.
4. Store the purée in a small plastic container and set aside in the fridge until serving.
Method (Braised Greens):
1. Add the red pepper flakes, garlic and lemon zest, to a large pan with a drizzle of oil over medium heat Saute until fragrant.
2. Add the collard greens and cook until they begin to wilt. Add the chicken stock and 1/2 cup water and cover, lowering the heat to a simmer. Let cook until the greens are tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
3. At the 40 minute mark, raise the heat to medium-high and reduce the liquid by one-quarter, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the lemon juice to taste, and season with salt and pepper. Set aside until serving.
1. Remove each squab from packaging and snip the wing tips off. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a hot saute pan, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil begins to ripple, place squab in the pan skin side down and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until skin is a nice even golden brown.
3. Turn to sear on other side for 8 to 10 minutes. If not cooked through, place in 350°F oven for 5 more minutes to finish. Carve up the squab into breast, legs and wings.
4. Mound braised greens on the left side of preheated plates and lay squab decoratively. Place the butternut squash purée on the right side of the plates and add figs to garnish. Enjoy!