Oven Roasted Pheasant
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes • Yields: 2-4 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and remove from heat. Using the side of a wide blade, smash the garlic cloves on a cutting board and add to the melted butter. Let cool.
3. Set the pheasant in a roasting pan and rub the garlic butter all over the bird including the cavity and under the skin. Generously season with salt and pepper.
4. Stuff fresh herbs of your choice into the cavity of the bird. Truss the legs closed with butcher's twine and tuck the wing tips in so they don't burn.
5. Add the lemon halves to the roasting pan, then place the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
6. Carefully remove the pan, baste the bird. Set the roasting pan back in the oven and cook for an additional 20 minutes or until the thickest part of the pheasant registers 165° and the juices run clear.
7. Remove from oven, baste the bird again and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
8. Carve the pheasant and serve with your favorite salad, potatoes or other sides. Enjoy!