Crispy Fried Quail with Black Eye Peas & Red Eye Gravy
• Prep Time: 1 hour • Yields: 4 servings
1. Heat oil in pan to 375°F.
2. Make a batter with flour, baking powder & buttermilk.
3. Season Quail with salt and pepper.
4. Dust Quail with flour, dredge in batter and fry until crispy (about 3 minutes per side).
5. Remove and drain on paper towel.
Method (Black Eye Peas & Red Eye Gravy):
1. Soak peas in water and let sit overnight; then drain.
2. In a large pot, render out pancetta on low-medium heat. Remove and reserve fat.
3. Sauté celery, onions, and garlic until translucent. Add bay leaves, peas, water and chicken stock.
4. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until cooked (about 2.5 hours).
5. In a saucepan, add the rendered fat from the pancetta, onion, garlic and sage and cook until onions are translucent.
6. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add flour. Cook, stirring constantly for 2-5 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Slowly whisk in milk, beef broth, and coffee; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
8. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring often, 14-18 minutes or until thickened.
9. Remove from heat. Stir in chives and pepper.
10. Serve and enjoy!