Pan Roasted Squab with Roasted Beet Risotto, Charred Scallion Puree & Truffle Pan Jus
• Prep Time: 1 hours 25 minutes • Yields: 2-4 servings
1. Preheat oven at 375°F.
2. Season the squab well with salt and pepper. Sear in hot oiled pan on all sides until golden brown.
3. Cook squab in an oven safe container for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from the oven and allow to rest.
4. In a medium saucepan, heat the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat so the stock stays hot while you cook the risotto.
5. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and the butter over medium heat.
6. When the butter has melted, add diced beets, garlic, and bay leaves.
7. Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter.
8. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. Make sure not to let the rice turn brown.
9. Add the vermouth or wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
10. Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir every once in a while until the liquid is fully absorbed.
11. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process.
12. Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for about 20 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy.
13. Remove the risotto from heat and prepare the puree and truffle pan jus.
14. Place scallion, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper in food processor and puree until smooth.
15. Use the pan from the roasted squab and heat until medium hot. De-glaze with red wine and reduce.
16. Add demi-glace and reduce again. Finish with truffle and butter, stir until smooth.
17. Serve by layering the risotto, squab, top with the scallion puree and truffle pan jus. Enjoy