Venison Wellington with Foie Gras By Chef Joseph Cuccia
• Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes • Yields: 6-8 servings
1. Heat a frying pan over high heat; sauté wild mushrooms till lightly brown and tender.
2. Season with salt and pepper, add shallots and continue to cook until translucent.
3. De-glaze with white wine and reduce till dry.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Place in food processor and pulse until smooth; add herbs and set aside.
5. Season the Foie Gras liberally and sear in a very hot dry pan until brown on one side.
6. Remove from pan and save fat.
7. Pour the fat into the Mushroom mixture and allow remaining Foie Gras to cool in refrigerator.
8. Season Venison with salt and pepper. Heat pan and add small amount of olive oil.
9. Sear all sides of the Venison until golden brown, without cooking inside above 110°F.
10. To assemble, lightly roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry, evenly spread mushroom mixture onto puff pastry, leaving 1 inch around the perimeter.
11. Cut Foie grass into small pieces and place evenly on mushrooms.
12. Place Venison loin in center and brush edges with egg. Roll to create a package, making sure all sides are sealed. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
13. Preheat oven to 450°F and place wellington on baking sheet.
14. Cut small vent hole in top center to allow steam to escape.
15. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle sea salt on top. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
16. Slice, serve, and enjoy!